Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tom Harris Is Back

Delighted to see that Tom Harris MP has made a return to blogging. His used to be one of the blogs I visited most frequently (often partisan, but quite funny and always well-written), before he pulled it last year after, if I remember rightly, landing in a wee bit of hot water for something he'd written about the SNP.

He sometimes used to dismiss the SNP as being anti-English (which is a real peeve of mine, particularly when it comes from people who should know better) and on that basis, I was prepared to thoroughly dislike him when I came down to work at Westminster. It was pleasing then, if momentarilly disconcerting, for me to find out that when the cudgels are put away, he's a genuinely nice guy. It doubtless says more about me than it does about him that this should have have surprised me even slightly - I suppose that's why you should always try to seperate the argument from the person making it.

After being introduced by one of the SNP MPs in the Strangers Bar a few weeks ago, I asked him if he'd any plans to restart his blog. He didn't quite say no, but expressed a bit of regret that time pressures had meant he'd had to stop. So, I don't know if I'm in any way responsible for his starting back again, but a blogging minister who genuinely writes his own posts, as opposed to the bromide served up by certain of his colleagues in the name of blogging, has to be a good thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your very kind comments. You're still completely wrong in your politics, but you're also the first nat blog to be featured on my blogroll.

Richard Thomson said...

Thank you, Tom, and the link is reciprocated.

As for being wrong in my politics, you may be correct there. Personally, I'm just pleased that thanks to your colleagues in Holyrood, it might soon be possible for a majority of Scots to be 'completely wrong' in a referendum also :-)

Anonymous said...

Doh!

Anonymous said...

It's always nice to see an outbreak of political friendship and consensus...